Just about the time I bury the whole AI crap in the basement of my mind, something else pops up that sets me off. So, yay, the EU decided all AI content has to be flagged...whatever. Anthropic decides they're going to watermark anything that uses Claude. Well good freakig hoorah for them. Just the word ANTHROPIC makes me lose my ever-loving mind. Why are those thieves still in business is the first question I have. Those azzhats STOLE thousands of pieces of work to train their freaking AI system...my entire backlist. While we aren't talking about hundreds of my stories, we are talking about MY ENTIRE BACKLIST. I have words for them that I can't type in a public forum, so moving on.
If you google something for a fact-finding or research mission, the first answers are supplied by, yep, AI. If you use a spelling or grammar checker while writing, you're using, yep, AI. So far, I haven't found a search engine that doesn't give an AI response as the first option. Admittedly, I've only tried google and brave, but I have a couple more stashed...somewhere. How are writers going to get around that? Don't search anything? Don't use a spelling or grammar checker? Yeah, right. I can only imagine how terrible any draft of my work would appear...shiver.
Then let's look at the writing itself. Yeah, ok. Most readers, from the sofa reader to the contest judge, to the publishing house editor, have little clue if it's AI or not. I've been told that the consensus is that em dashes are a sign of AI. Really now...and here I was taught an em dash is used for emphasis. I use it religiously, and I'm not going to stop. Same with the Oxford comma. Sorry, but I went to school in the 60s and 70s...that's the 1960s/1970s and it's always been and always will be red, white, and blue. Don't like it? Too bad. But a reader's likes, and/or dislikes doesn't make it AI. And then the clichés...not sure how to tell anyone this, but I've now written 23 stories and I can guarantee you that in each one of those stories, long or short, at one time or another, I have used the phrase "he/she looked at me like I'd grown a second head" Clichéd? Well, yeah. Do I care? That'd be a NO. It's a cliche because it was often used, and easily understood. Same with the other ones -- he/she whispered against my ear/lips -- whichever. Am I going to stop using what to me are common phrases? NO. And the final one -- OMG head hopping is AI. Um, no. It's not. Not in any way, shape or form. Ever read a category romance? Ever read any early Nora? So, that bs gem can be shoved in a dark place.
What gets me is that the AI checkers were created by AI. How do I know if that "teacher" AI was taught using MY MATERIAL or not? I don't. So...phhhpppttt.
If the EU already implemented their AI flag crap, how long before the same is done in the US or North America in general? No idea.
At this point in time, I'll turn off Grammarly and go back to using any one or more of my thousands of dollars in research tomes for date/fact checking. Other than that, I'm just going to keep keeping on and screw it. I'll keep writing my stories just like I always have...stepping out into the void without a parachute, while praying for a soft landing, thanks.
I swear, if it's not one thing, it's 100 other ones.
0 comments:
Post a Comment